How does aging affect your immune system?
As you get older, your immune system becomes less efficient. As you age1:
- You have fewer white blood cells that can respond to new germs and bugs (pathogens).
- Your immune system is less able to remember germs and bugs, to quickly combat them.
- Your immune fighting cells (macrophages and T cells) slow down and respond less quickly to a wide range of pathogens
- Your body may take longer to heal.
- Your immune system can start to confuse your normal cells with pathogens. This may result in the development of autoimmune problems.
- Your antibodies become less able to attach to the germs and bugs entering your body.
Overall, this means your body may not attack the virus strongly enough. And this could give you more serious and longer-lasting symptoms. the strength of your immune system changes as you age? Is it as strong as it was when you were younger?
But don’t be discouraged, you can take action to help boost your immune system as you age.